My friend Ann LOVES fruit in her desserts and I never really understood this. Her favorite cupcake is blueberry lemon, which when given the choice I admit I’ll always choose chocolate peanut butter over fruit. Though blueberries are ripe here and I cannot get enough. I’ve been putting them in my oatmeal, on top of cream cheese, and eating them by the handful. Knowing this season is fleeting I’ve been stocking up on blueberries. Those punnets? Totally a serving size.
Is anyone else having a free for all with the awesome availability of fruit? I yearn for these days in February. Oh and lemon zest, do it. The sweet tang of the zest really brings out the blueberry flavor. Once again I used a trick I learnt from America’s Test Kitchen for cupcakes, white chocolate. Cocoa Butter should also work if you like, the fat in the white chocolate really helps with the lack of gluten.
I piped these with some homemade whipped cream. Because I used quite a bit of sweetener in the cupcakes the whipped cream only has some vanilla extract in it. No need to get a sugar overload, especially since I couldn’t stop at just one.
- 6 TBS coconut oil
- 4 oz white chocolate or cocoa butter
- ½ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup sweet white rice flour
- ¾ all purpose flour, flax flour
- ½ TBS tapioca starch
- 1 TBS nonfat milk powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ¾ cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a muffin tin with liners.
- Melt coconut oil and cocoa butter (or white chocolate) either on the stove top or in the microwave.
- Whisk the almond meal, white rice flour, flax flour, tapioca starch, milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk vanilla, maple syrup, sugar, eggs, and lemon zest.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients with the wet. Fold in the blueberries.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool completely before icing.
A little white and a little blue, if you top these with some cherries or strawberries they’ll be perfect for the Fourth of July!