We devoured these breakfast bars. Sometimes the food I make lasts a few days as we happily eat it. Sometimes the food I make lasts a few hours, these didn’t last very long! There is something so awesome about the addition of lemon zest to blueberries. I have really found an appreciation for adding citrus zest to my foods over the past year. The zest brings this lightness and sort of sunshine flavor to things.
I wanted to make something that was easy to grab in the mornings and didn’t require any cooking. The weather is so nice I want to just grab food and eat it out on the deck these days. I don’t want to stand over the stove waiting for my meal. I need to soak up as much sun as I can!
The first batch of these was too heavy on chia seeds and kind of flat. I lessened the chia seed amount and added the yogurt “icing” which added to protein levels. Yay for food that is jam packed with nutritional goodness!
- 4 dates, seeded
- 1 cup oat flour (made in my blender)
- 1 cup Gluten Free Flour (I used Flax All Purpose Flour)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 TBS Chia Seeds
- 2 TBS Agave
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cp blueberries
- Yogourt "Icing"
- ¼ cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1-2 TBS water
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place dates in a bowl and cover with water.
- Either soak for an hour OR heat in microwave for 40 seconds.
- Puree dates in food processor and add a few tsp of the water to help puree them.
- Add the oat flour, gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt to the food processor, blend.
- Add the chia seeds, agave, and lemon zest and blend.
- Using a spoon fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth out.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Yogurt "Icing"
- In a small bowl combine the yogurt, water, and lemon zest.
- Mix well and add more water as needed to get a nice consistency between liquid and solid.
- You want to be able to drizzle this over the bars.
- Drizzle and place in fridge to let the yogurt set.
I hope everyone has a safe and fun Memorial Day! Thanks for stopping by on your holiday 🙂