Hi all! I hope you are well. We went to Erie, PA last week for a friend’s wedding and I got my first look at Lake Erie. Wow, just wow. I know it is a great lake but never having seen one that didn’t really mean anything to me. The lake looks like a calm ocean with the best skipping stones on the shoreline. These stones were incredibly smooth and flat, perfect for skipping which loads of people were doing. I have to say though that 72F isn’t warm enough for me to go swimming but other people had no problem getting in the water. It was interesting to see a part of the country I’d never been to.
When we got home I found these adorable little plums at the orchard near me and I was convinced I would remember their name when I got home. I don’t. I think it began with an “M”. They taste just like their larger cousins to me but they are so cute! I’ve been eating a lot more bread/grains lately than I have in years and I’m trying to get out of that cycle. I figured a grain free crumble could be a great place to start.
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 2 cups plums, pitted
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a baking dish
- In a large bowl mix the cherries, plums, lemon juice, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a food processor, or bowl, mix the almond meal, coconut flour, almonds, coconut oil, cinnamon, and salt. Pulse just to mix.
- Pour the fruit into prepared baking dish and cover with almond mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes.
I served this with greek yogurt which made an excellent breakfast. Swap out the yogurt for whipped cream or whipped coconut cream for dessert. Mmmm.
Have you been to Erie?