Both occurrences were inevitable but it is a pity they occurred simultaneously. After almost 4 and a half months of wanting nothing to do with sweets I now am in a phase of EAT ALL THE SWEETS. The other instance is that after 3 months of eschewing vegetables and a few weeks of devouring them I want absolutely nothing to do with zucchini. Typical for this time of summer it may be but I was hoping for a few extra weeks since I missed so much in the beginning of summer.
What’s a gal to do?? Especially since I am trying very hard to not eat every candy bar and cake in sight. Something about them not being totally nutritious for me or baby. The funny thing is now that we are about to become parents we are both trying to be better adults. Like adults who make the bed daily. Pssh. Or my new obsession of removing all plastic cookware from our house and replacing it with glass. Who are we?!?!
I digress. I know I need to continue eating vegetables and part of the joy/annoyance of eating seasonally is that one is bombarded with the same produce for a few weeks. Just long enough for one to despair at ever seeing that object again. I also have this incredible need for chocolate. Like all the world’s supply doesn’t sound like enough. Enter chocolate zucchini bread.
I made two different breads to see which I would like. I’m still trying to wean myself off of eating an only bread diet so I chose coconut flour and a coconut flour + almond flour trial. The results were not totally surprising. The bread with only coconut flour is short, squat, and moist. The bread with coconut flour + almond flour is tall and well bread/cake like. This recipe uses the almond flour + coconut flour mixture. This bread solved my problem perfectly. A small slice satisfies my craving and I can move on with my day.
I iced this with coconut cream and greek yogurt cream cheese. This recipe uses very little sugar too, because you know: nutrition. I used applesauce and honey to sweeten the bread and only vanilla extract to “sweeten” the icing. Feel free to use more if you like.
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 TBS Honey
- 1½ almond meal
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup zucchini
- ½ cup chocolate
- 1 can coconut cream, chilled
- 3 oz greek yogurt cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl whisk the applesauce, coconut oil, eggs, milk, vanilla, and honey.
- In a medium bowl whisk the almond meal, coconut flour, salt, baking powder.
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate to the dry ingredients.
- Pour the dry into the wet and mix well.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing from pan.
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Chill stand mixer bowl before making icing.
- Using the whisk attachment whisk the coconut cream, greek yogurt cream cheese, and vanilla extract until thickened and whipped cream like.
- Ice bread. You will have lots of extra icing, store in fridge for 1 week.
I topped the coconut +almond flour bread/cake with greek yogurt and coconut cream to trick myself that I was eating icing. And that’s dinner! Because I don’t have to pretend to be too much of an adult for a while still right?