Sleep has become an elusive friend. Rarely am I able to get a full night’s sleep every night of the week. I’ve been keeping the oddest hours this entire pregnancy and only recently have I gotten less bitter about it. Naps are delicious. A downside to being wide awake at 3 AM is that nothing is open. I cannot run my errands to get them out of the way and it seems entirely too early to start making breakfast. 4 hours early to be precise.
I’ve been spending these crazy early mornings scrolling through Pinterest looking for some magical breakfast that won’t require me to use a lot of ingredients or make too much noise. Often by the time 6 AM rolls around I’m dozing on the couch having not made a single thing. Someone told me this is my body training me for the sleepless nights ahead. I would prefer my body to stock up on sleep, but I am most definitely not in control.
Because I slept in til 5 AM I felt I had enough energy to actually make breakfast. Oatmeal (ahem fibre) is my best friend right now but I wanted it to be something different than our normal porridge. I rarely bake oatmeal because I don’t have the patience to wait 25 minutes in the morning. I’m learning that a handful of pumpkin seeds and prunes is enough to tide me over though. Snacking= a way of life.
I mixed things up by making a traditional baked oatmeal but adding a layer of cinnamon vanilla cream cheese in the middle. It is like a party in my mouth and I’m in love. My ramekins are small so this yielded about 2.5 servings, shhh I ate the 0.5 while Zach was asleep.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (use
gluten freecertified if needed)
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cream Cheese
- 4 TBS greek
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½-1 TBS coconut
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare 2 ramekins (depending on their size) with nonstick cooking spray. Set on a rimmed baking tray.
- In a large bowl mix the oats, almond milk, 1 egg, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the cream cheese with the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Spoon ¼ cup of oat mixture into ramekins. Top with cream cheese mixture.
- Top the cream cheese with the remaining oat mixture.
- In a small bowl mix the coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. Drizzle over top the oats.
- Bake 25 minutes.