Semifreddo has been one of those things I’ve always wanted to make and just never got around to. Once I saw Italian Prune Plums were in season I pounced. Like apricots I cannot get enough of this stone fruit and its season is sadly too short. If you aren’t familiar with it Semifreddo (literally half frozen) is an Italian dessert usually made with gelato and often fruit purées.
Gelato is something I can digest but I’ve noticed over the years digesting ice cream and shocking amounts of sugar are a no go for me. It just doesn’t work. After making last week’s Zucchini Bread with Coconut Cream I had quite a bit of whipped coconut cream leftover. Ah this just could work! Whipped Coconut Cream with an Italian Prune Plum purée seems like a great way to enjoy these blazing hot summer days.I meanLook at that gorgeous color! Ahh this makes me so happy, lovely colors and lovely flavors.
- 4 Italian Prune Plums, pitted
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 TBS maple syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1⅓ cup whipped coconut cream
- Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap, set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat cook the pitted plums, lemon juice, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Cook 5 minutes.
- Purée the fruit mixture in a blender and strain through a fine mesh strainer.
- Place whipped coconut cream in loaf pan and pour in plum purée either swirl or mix thoroughly.
- Cover loaf pan with foil and freeze until set, about 2 hours.
- Slice and serve!