My very own Papa John passed away last week. When I was little I would stay with my grandparents for part of the summer and we would have a grand old time. Specifically what I remember about these visits is the food. Shocker, I know. Krispy Kreme Donuts, Bacon, French Fries, Strawberry Ice Cream, and Banana Splits. A healthy vacation no?
I’ll let you in on a secret my Papa discovered, order your fries without salt so they are piping hot when you receive them. Then salt away to your heart’s content. Pure genius. The things he and I shared together were strawberry ice cream and banana splits. He was quite the character and would cajole waitstaff to do his bidding at a restaurant. For the past 15 years he would wax poetic about an epic banana split he and I shared together when I was in college. I wish you could hear his voice describing this, I’ve never heard anyone speak this way before or since each word is pronounced with importance in an Allen Rickman-esque sort of way.
I like remembering those who have passed by their favorite foods. It is a touching gesture that isn’t morose and we can all laugh about the dish and the stories that accompanied it. My favorite dish for future reference? Wine and cake, wine and cake. Keeping it classy. Ha!
I cannot do traditional ice cream these days, be it the sugar or the dairy I know not. For this banana split I used coconut milk to make an “ice cream” sort of granita.
- 12 oz coconut milk, full fat divided into 3 parts
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp maple syrup
- 4 strawberries, mashed
- 2 bananas
- 1 packet Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Mix 1 oz of coconut milk with vanilla extract and 1 tsp maple syrup.
- Pour into a freezer safe dish, I used a muffin tin.
- Mix 1 oz of coconut milk with cocoa powder and 1 tsp maple syrup, pour into dish.
- Mix 1 oz of coconut milk with vanilla extract, 1 tsp maple syrup, and strawberries.
- Freeze for a few hours, taking out every few hours to scrape with a fork.
- Whip cream in stand mixer with whip attachment.
- Top the bananas with each "ice cream", hazelnut butter, whipped cream, and sprinkles.